Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Undone

There's something about John Elefante's music that gets to me. He is the one artist who can get under my skin and make me weep. Several years ago I was driving home, listening to his song Corridors. I was rocking along and he sang, "And when I look into the eyes of my child, so innocent, I see evidence of your love; evidence of you. Then it makes me realize that's how you see me: made within your image so pure and perfectly." I was a young father at the time and I was suddenly undone. I lost it and cried all the way home, listening to the song over and over again. The chorus says, "So take me down the corridor that leads me to the cross. Take me to where you are; Lord I want to be where you are."
Then, it happened again yesterday. I was sitting on the patio listening to my mp3. Elefante's song Talk to Me came on. I've always loved that song for the way it sounds. (It's also on the Corridor's CD), and I've always known that Jesus came and walked in our shoes. I just last month preached at church from Hebrews 4:15 "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are -- yet was without sin."
So this concept is certainly not new to me, but I guess yesterday God knew I needed to hear it. It crawled all over me. In the song, John and his brother, Dino, wrote the chorus from God's point of view. It says, "Talk to me, let's have a conversation; I hear more than just words, I can hear down in your soul. So talk to me, I'll do more than listen, I stood where you're standing and I know just how you feel."
Suddenly, it was God singing those words to me. I just sat and wept. It was an auditory epiphany of sorts. Our creator came to earth and felt what we feel, was tempted like we are, experienced the frustrations, anxiety, disappointments, and pain. So talk to Him. He really does understand and he can see down into our soul -- our innermost thoughts and feelings. And best of all, he loves us more than we can fathom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love when God speaks through music. And I hope more people discover John's work.

This is a true example that music is not just for background noise.

K