Thursday, July 5, 2007

Go See Evan Almighty

I took the kids to see Evan Almighty this afternoon. I wasn't that excited about seeing it. After all it's not getting stellar reviews and I wanted to see Transformers. But we went because I want to support films like this one. It is family friendly, with a great message. If this is what we want Hollywood to make, we must support such movies when they do make them. In Hollywood, money is the only thing that talks. (We would have seen it when it first came out, but the kids were at camp and this was our first chance.)
So let me tell you what I thought about the movie: I LOVED it. I laughed all the way through it and had a lump in my throat at the same time. I was touched by it. I loved the wisdom "God" in the person of Morgan Freeman shared. In the opening moments, Evan gets on his knees and prays, asking God to help him. I can't tell you how refreshing it was to see that in a movie. So many people just live their lives without acknowledging their creator.
This movie is the most expensive comedy ever made and you can clearly see why. The ark is life-sized and there is a huge cast of birds and animals.
I loved how Evan had to deal with his own doubts, the ridicule of his family and friends, and the sacrifices he had to make to obey God. That's exactly what it's like to take a stand for God in a world that would rather do its own thing. The characters in the movie wouldn't even believe when all the animals showed up and that's just what it is like today. There is evidence for God all around us and most people simply choose not to see it.
Monday is my birthday and here's what I want as a gift for me from you: gather your friends and family and go see this movie. Support it so Hollywood will make more like it. Send a message that this is what we want on the big screen.
I think the critics didn't like this movie because they have never felt the doubt or ridicule of being obedient. This is one of my all-time favorite movies and I applaud its producers, cast, and director.

No comments: