Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Guilt and Conviction

I was reading a blog the other day and someone said he is free now that he has left "the guiltplex of Christianity", implying that Christians live our lives feeling guilty all the time. Guilty because we can’t live up to God’s standards, and because we continually do things that we want to do, but know we shouldn't.
I was struck by the term “guiltplex” because that is exactly how I don’t feel. I haven’t felt guilty in so long I don’t even remember the feeling.
It made me think about guilt and Christianity and my own experience. I can remember church leaders trying to make me feel guilty when I was younger. Sure enough, I wasn’t doing something exactly like they wanted. But as I’ve matured I’ve come to realize that guilt is a terrible motivator. When we feel guilty, we are punishing ourselves for sins and mistakes from the past. It isn't a good motivator because we tend to rebel against it. God knows this and a lot of church leaders need to learn it. God uses conviction, instead. The Holy Spirit convicts us of sin and encourages us to stop doing it and do better. Conviction encourages us; guilt discourages us. Conviction pushes us forward; guilt drags us backward.
As it happens, the Bible says Jesus removes not only the guilt of sin, but he even cleanses our consciences of it. (Hebrews 9:14). Because he paid for every Christian’s sins once for all, we can live our lives guilt-free.
In truth it is those who are not Christians who live with a guiltplex. They are the ones who feel guilty because God's punishment has not been removed from them. Even if they don’t care what God thinks, they still must carry the guilt of every sin they commit. Jesus said we are slaves to sin when we sin, but he sets us free. (John 8: 34) If you haven’t felt the freedom of living a guilt-free life, then you haven’t experienced true Christianity.
It is an irony: we know we’re sinners, but we don’t live in guilt. How can this be? Because Jesus took care of the guilt of sin when he forgave us. Yes, we still feel conviction when we sin, but it is not the crushing feeling of shame and unworthiness that guilt brings. We Christians still sin, but we have the power not to live a willful, sinful lifestyle. It is very freeing and very wonderful. Who wouldn’t rather be free than enslaved? It is Christ who sets us free; freedom from Christ is enslavement.

2 comments:

rmarcy said...

I agree on the guilt of giving. In our church it never seems to be enough. Money is preached from the pulpit in almost every sermon from our pastor. January is stewardship month so it is preached for 4 weeks in a row. There are also large banners hung at the front of the church with reminders of the giving campaign we are into at the moment. I give my tithe and to other offerings. I am a recent widow with a son in ministerial college in Australia. I give to my church and also to my son's ministry to help him with his expenses to do God's work there. I also give of my time and talents. I even went to another church yesterday to hear a sermon on something besides money. I am on such a guilt trip now that I feel like what is the use, I will never be able to live up to the expectations of the church. Then I wonder if this is God or man making me feel like this. I have been a Christian all my life and Jesus came to forgive our sins. As you said, the Holy Spirit convicts and encourages us to do better. In my relationship with God, he is a loving God, but does expect us to be obedient. I think giving is an attitude of the heart giving back to God for the work of His kingdom.
I do not think that true Christians need this hammered home to them in every sermon. Let God work in the hearts of His people. rmarcy

Tammy L said...

I am sorry that you believe that Guilt is not of God but Guilt and conviction are one in the same.As long as we have the holy spirit living in us,guiding us,bringing us to perfection,refining us so to speak,guilt is important.No I do not believe that we should carry around guilt,but as True parts of the body of Christ we must truly must not turn away from guilt.We are to look at what we have done as forgiven sinners and face our guilt then hand it to the Lord where he promised us by the cleansing blood of Christ we could leave our sin.The holy spirit convicts us to show us where we have erred,what sin we are guilty of, that we may then confess it and be cleansed of it that we will go and do that particular sin no more.If you do not feel guilt then you are not being convicted by the Holy Spirit.Guilt and conviction are one and the same.We must be found guilty to be convicted of a crime and it is the same in the eyes of God.