Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Does God Love Everyone the Same?


My son asked me a really good question yesterday. He asked if God loves everyone the same. I said, “Yes, he does. But he’s not proud of everyone and I want him to be proud of me.”
That’s the short answer. Doesn’t God love everyone? Isn’t that what John 3:16 teaches? “For God so loved the world…” So God loves each of us with a sacrificial love that put Jesus on the cross on our behalf. And if Jesus died for everyone, like the verse says, that means he loves everyone equally.
But what about evil people who hurt others and show no regard for God? We have to remember that there is a difference between God’s love and fondness. God, in fact, does not even “know” everyone. Jesus said he will tell many, “Depart from me … I never knew you.” (Matthew 7:23). “Knew” here means “had a relationship with”. God knows everyone and everything, but only those who accept his gift of grace have a relationship with him. When we accept his grace, we become his children, our name is in his book, and he “knows“ us. I’ve heard people say that everyone is a child of God. I disagree. Everyone is God’s creation, but only those who have accepted him are his children.
Further, the writer of Hebrews says that “God is not ashamed to be called their God”, referring to those who have faith. (Hebrews 11: 16). Earlier, in verse 6, he says it is impossible to please God without faith.
So I know God loves me. I can’t do anything to make him love me more or less. But I want him to be pleased with me, proud of me, and know me as a father knows his son. I know he loves me, but I want him to be fond of me, too.

1 comment:

Laura Beth said...

that was a really interesting point