Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Jasper, Clear as Crystal

I preached a couple of Sundays ago from Revelation 21 where John said the new Jerusalem shone like “jasper, clear as crystal” (Revelation 21:11). I looked up jasper and found it to be green, red or even beige, but not clear. I wasn’t sure what that could mean, but I presented the scripture as it was written.
Of course, I didn’t think any more about it. Then, four days later, I was driving home from Tyler. I noticed a new building being built by one of the local hospitals. This building’s sides are made of tinted green glass. In other words, it’s a normal, windowed building that we all see all the time.
Then it hit me. Wait a minute, that’s what John saw – tinted windows. Of course the new Jerusalem would appear just as any modern city. But John had never seen glass. He had never seen a building – or a whole city – made of tinted glass. That must be what the new Jerusalem looks like!
John was trying to describe something he had never seen before, just as he described helicopters in Chapter 9: 7 – 10.
And some people still don’t believe the Bible is true?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Pastor Harris. I was reading in the book of Revelation, chapter 21, and decided to Google jasper because I wasn't sure what the color was. I do know, as you mentioned, that Paul described it as "clear as crystal. I have read on other sites that jasper can be red, yellow, green, possibly just about any color. I think it's also possible that there could have been a crystal clear jasper. We have a hunger and thirst to understand God's word and that's the most important thing. I know that regardless of what color it is, it will be more magnificent that we could ever possibly imagine. If it has a tint to it, my favorite would be red. I think the opaque red would look stunning against the city of gold described in chapter 21. God bless richly bless you.

Anonymous said...

Dear Pastor Harris. After I posted my comment about jasper and my study in the book of Revelation, I noticed that you posted your comment about jasper only a few days after my only son passed away; actually it was the day I laid his body to rest. He passed on to glory on May 24, 2009 and I laid his body to rest on May 29. I have been pouring through the Word of God more than ever before to gain an understanding of where Levi is and what he is experiencing. My only comfort and consolation is the Holy Ghost and the blessed assurance that his spirit is already with our Lord. My son prayed with me and actually sang gospel hymns the Sunday afternoon that he passed on, "Peace, Peace, Wonderful Peace" and "Jesus Loves Me This I Know." The Lord took him peacefully and quietly; he said he was in no pain before the Lord took him. I only live and breathe to see my beloved son again and to praise my Lord throughout the annals of time for His goodness and mercy to my precious boy. God richly bless you and your ministry pastor.

Unknown said...

i work at a jewelry store and i found your post when a customer asked me a question about the clear as crystal jasper. My best guess is that jasper went by a different name back then because jasper is an "opaque agate". Agate and jasper are both varieties of quartz.