Friday, May 8, 2009

A Miracle in Colorado

Has anything like this ever happened to you? I was a kid on vacation with my family, sometime back in the ‘70s. We were in Lake City, Colorado. We had arrived the day before and, as far as I know had not fraternized with any of the locals.
Sunday morning we got dressed and went to the local Baptist church. (This picture is what the church looks like today.) No big deal. I’m sure my mom is the one who insisted that we go. Anyway, when we walked up onto the front porch, a lady met us at the door. None of us had ever seen her before, but she said something astonishing. She pointed at my dad and said, “I believe you are a song leader.” Then she looked at my mom and said, “And you are a piano player. Will you lead us in worship this morning?”
My dad led the singing and my mom played the piano. From what I recall, it was a small crowd. I don’t even remember who preached, but I’m talking to my folks to get a clearer picture of what happened that morning. Mom says my dad even sang a solo. I don’t remember that. But I do remember what happened on the porch. I saw it with my own eyes.
So, how did the woman know that my dad routinely led the singing at our church? More astonishing, how did she know my mom could play the piano? If she had asked, “Can you lead in singing, and can you play the piano?” It would have been completely different. But she didn’t ask – she said it, then asked if they would do what she already somehow knew they could do.
I’m working on piecing this together – when exactly we arrived, what year this was, how old I was. When I get more details, I’ll post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember that too. It was a very special day in one of the most beautiful places on earth. Definitely a "God Nod".

K

Jason Huffman said...

Craig, obviously I wasn't there, but I like the way you used the word "miracle". I think one reason people miss these "little" things God does is because we all expect miracles to be large scale events (i.e. feeding 5,000, medical healing, a jet landing on the Hudson River). I wonder how many small, yet supernatural, things Jesus did in his time on earth that didn't make it to the pages of scripture? I remember walking into FUMC after a 2year hiatus from ministry to find out that they had been searching diligently for a youth leader for 6 months. Definitely a God-thing. Good stuff!