Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Snake Bite!

I was sitting on the patio this afternoon, enjoying a cup of coffee and talking with my wife. Suddenly our dachshund, Jello, who was sniffing around the crepe myrtle tree just off the patio, jumped back. I thought I saw a lizard or something jumping near his face. Jello ran away as fast as he could and I knew something serious had just happened. He didn't yelp, so we weren't sure what it was. He stood at a distance and barked. I think he was warning us.
I went over to investigate and saw a copperhead coiled at the base of the tree. I killed it and began to watch Jello to see if he had been bitten. Soon, his nose began to swell and we found two small blood spots. Sure enough, he had been bitten.
We gave him some children's Benadryl. I dipped it in peanut butter so he would eat it. Then I called our vet, Dr. Stone, and she said we had done the right thing. She said a person would have to go to the hospital, but that Jello should be okay. He's very lethargic and seems pretty miserable. We'll keep an eye on him and give him more medicine every six hours for a while. He's not all that swollen as you can see in the picture. Be sure to keep Benadryl on hand for such occasions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor Jello! What is it about dachshunds and snakes? Snoopy used to get bit pretty often as you recall. They are good snake sniffers but they usually pay a price.

I guess that copperhead wanted to get one last bite in before colder weather.

K