Sunday, October 28, 2007

Christians and Halloween

I know many Christian parents steer away from Halloween because of some of its pagan origins. I understand and respect this. But my fear is that my kids will say, "Christian families never have any fun, so who needs it?" I want them to see that we Christians have more fun than anyone. We try to downplay the "evil" aspects of Halloween, but capitalize on the "good" aspects -- like candy, walking in the crunching leaves, parties, cooler weather, football games, and even carving a pumpkin. I know some of you may disagree, but notice I made a "happy" face and not an evil one. Then I reminded the kids that Jesus picks us from the patch, cleans out the junk in our lives, puts a smile on our faces, and puts his light inside for all the world to see.
In other words, I think we Christians should try to seize the seasons and their holidays and turn them for good. I think we should be deliberate in our efforts to have some fun.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We don't celebrate Halloween

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you bring out the balance on this every year. We've had some really good times on Halloween.

K