Monday, April 30, 2007

The Family that Spades Together...







We had this pit in our yard because of a huge red oak tree. It was an old landscaping flaw done way before we moved in. I was afraid it was going to erode away the whole backyard, so I ordered a load of dirt. I was at the dentist's when the dirt arrived (for a double root canal, see the blog on pain... BTW, it was no big deal. Root canals are not what they used to be.) Anyway, the dirt hauler dumped the pile of dirt about ten yards from the pit. He said that was as close as he could get. So, we borrowed shovels from friends and neighbors and began shoveling it in.
It was tough, hard work, but I think it was good for us to work on a project together. I was proud of my wife and kids for their hard work. We filled the kid's wagon, a shovel at a time, and dumped it in.
We finally got some relief, though, from Larry Jones, a parishioner from church. He brought out his tractor and finished it for us. He did in about three hours what would have taken us a couple of weeks to do. You can see the before and after pictures here.

No comments: