Sunday, December 16, 2007

Home for The Holidays

It's getting more and more difficult to get everyone together for Christmas, but I think it is more important than ever that we do. I'm so blessed to be in a family where love reigns and we want to see each other. I guess I could say I'm blessed to part of a family at all.
My grandparents began a legacy of godliness and goodness and my children reap the benefits. Those kids of mine don't realize how blessed they are. Not yet. But one day they will. One day they will realize not everyone grows up in a family where it is a good thing to get together. Oh, our clan is not perfect, but so many families don't even speak. In some families, the grownups live darkly or selfishly and the kids don't want anything to do with them. Get-togethers are forced, uncomfortable and dreaded. I hear of families that haven't spoken for years. Christmas is about being reconciled - being friends again - and forgiveness allows that.
In this season of joy, how sad it must be to be isolated from loved ones. How sad not to give and receive love from your family members. When we hurt each other, we hurt whole families. And when we refuse to forgive, the hurt continues.
The song "I'll be Home for Christmas" is so sweet and sad when you realize its history. It was written during World War II in honor of those who were stuck in a foreign land fighting for our peace and safety. Of course, we have many men and women from our country in that very situation. Let's remember to pray for them this year.
I write these words because I want families to be strong. I want us to make the effort to love each other, to uplift each other, and to spend time together. I want us to realize that the decisions we make affect those around us, including the innocents. I hope your Christmas get-togethers have a spiritual element. Christmas is not just about getting and receiving material things, it is about love for all people.
When families are strong, our society will be strong. Find your way through the stress and materialism that Christmas has become and use this time of year to strengthen your family. You will spread joy to others and you will receive it back many times over.

No comments: