Monday, August 13, 2007

More Problems for 'Ole Evolution

Have you seen the article about the latest challenge to evolution? It's right here. You haven't seen it? I wouldn't have seen it either if I didn't catch it on happy news. My brother told me it was mentioned on Fox News, but I don't get that channel so I never saw it.
When Darwin wrote his theory, we didn't even know about cells. Now we know they are extremely complicated nanofactories that are marvels of engineering. They are irreducibly complex. Darwin thought life was so simple, it bubbled up from the bottom of the ocean. He also thought we would find thousands of transitional fossils to prove his theory. We've found a grand total of ZERO. (Evolutionists have about four fossils that show transitional features, which is not the same.)
I'm sorry, but evolution is a bust.
Am I saying God created the world in six days about six thousand years ago? (Most scientists believe the world is four billion years old.) Not necessarily. Genesis One seems to say it was in six 24-hour days. But we need to look a little closer.
This is a matter that is very important to me. I preach that the Word of God is true and inerrant. I never want to make excuses or explain away difficult passages. I want to read the Bible believing it is forever true. I want to see all of it as being in agreement, both with itself and with what I can observe.
So, it troubles me when I read that God created everything in six days and nature seems to say something very different. In fact, if you believe God created Adam and Eve on the sixth day, you also have to believe Adam named the animals, took care of the garden, then felt lonely for a suitable companion all in one afternoon!
You have to ignore geographical evidence, isotope decay evidence, fossil evidence, and astronomical calculations.
If, however, you read the days of creation as “morning and evening, a day”; “morning and evening, a second day” and keep in mind that Peter said a day is like a thousand years to God, you see the six “days” as specific creation periods. Creation periods that line up with scientific evidence! The Hebrew word for day is yom. It normally means a 24-hour-day period, and in this poetic context seems to be showing how each orderly phase of creation corresponds to days of the week – leading to a day of rest, which is very important and symbolic in God’s economy. (He wants us to rest in him and rely on him for our provision.)
When we view the Bible’s creation account this way, suddenly the textual discrepancies disappear and so do the conflicts with science. It is very comforting to me to know that God’s Word continues to stand the tests of time. It is true and it always will be.
When Moses wrote Genesis, the world was full of religions that claimed all sorts of fanciful creation accounts. God said that He was the creator. The Bible confirms this over and over. I don't know how long he took or how he did it, but I believe God created the universe. I'm watching the fossil record to see what it says, and right now it is saying evolutionists need to keep looking. A good place to start would be Genesis one.

No comments: