Thursday, August 30, 2007

Isolation or Insulation

How do we protect our children from the evils of the world? Do we shield them from thoughts, morals, and ideas that are contrary to our own? Do we hide them from the dangerous and immoral influences out there?
I think a mistake some parents make is trying to isolate their children from the world. We can’t shield their eyes and ears from every evil. Even if we could, it wouldn’t last. The day would come when they fly from the nest and our protective shield is taken down.
I submit, then, that we should not attempt to isolate them from the world, but insulate them from it instead.
Some parents shield their children to point of letting them watch very little television. The children are not allowed to see movies that are not G-rated. They can’t read most of the books in print because their content is objectionable for some reason. Video games, magazines, newspapers and the Internet are all screened to make sure only positive values are let through.
On the surface, this seems perfectly healthy. But when you think it through you realize you might not be doing the children such a big favor after all. For one thing, you don’t want your children to grow up culturally or socially ignorant. For another, you may be setting them up for a culture shock that may well overwhelm them. One day, they will be exposed to nearly everything you are hiding from them today. How will they handle that if they are not prepared for it?
We all joke that we’d like to hide our kids in a closet until they grow up, but some parents virtually attempt to do this. Every aspect of their children’s home-schooled lives are controlled, filtered, and protected to the point that they may as well live in Antarctica. Then the day comes when the kids walk out the front door and the protective filters are all gone. They see, hear, read, and experience the real world with its ugliness and hatred. Some will find it new and exciting, and rebel against every value that has been placed on them. Others may go back into hiding.
Am I saying that we shouldn’t filter what our children see and experience? Of course not, and reasonable limits should be set on everything. My wife and I don’t prescribe to premium movie channels because there is too much trash there that we don’t want in our home. Some movies, magazines, books, Internet sites, and TV shows have no place in front of your children and you have the right and responsibility to block them. And our filters should be set higher for younger children. I fear, however, that some parents try to go too far.
Instead of isolating them, we should insulate them. We should prepare them for what they will see and experience in the real world. Instead of putting blinders on their eyes, we put love and respect in their hearts. We teach them right from wrong and lovingly explain to them why wrong behaviors and decisions are not in their best interest. We show them the benefits of a life lived against the grain.
Isolation places barriers between them and the world while insulation prepares them for its realities. Isolation teaches them that no one else’s opinion should even be considered. Insulation allows them to hear other ideas with confidence in what they believe. Isolation encourages the children to be dependent on their parents, but isolation encourages self-discipline. Isolation eventually breaks down, but insulation can last for a well-rounded, satisfied lifetime.

5 comments:

In My Opinion said...

"Every aspect of their children’s home-schooled lives are controlled, filtered, and protected to the point that they may as well live in Antarctica."

Boy, do you have a lot to learn about home schooling! The reason many parents choose to Home School is because of their lack of confidence in the Public School system. In fact, may home schooled children out perfom those who have attended public schools! I guess you better do a little more research before you make comments like this about it.

Sandy said...

My parents did the over-protective routine. I was allowed to go to school, but restricted to church activities -and even then, they were always there as chaperones. It was a huge mistake on their part. Their form of love -protection and shielding -left me unprepared for the real world.

Their smothering led to my becoming more introverted. I knew they were always watching me and were very critical of anyone that might be my friend. So I had very few friends and never brought them home.

Then I married an alcoholic. I knew nothing about alcoholics and alcoholism. I thought love could fix everything. My ignorance and lack of social skills/experience led to many major mistakes in my life.

To every parent out there -love them but don't smother them. Treat your children with respect and explain things to them logically -they're smarter than you think. Respect is a two-way street and children that grow up without it will not have the self-confidence they need to succeed in life.

mommidwest said...

"Every aspect of their children’s home-schooled lives are controlled, filtered, and protected to the point that they may as well live in Antarctica."

I agree with the earlier post. I homeschool my daughter because she is already well past first grade public school work. I don't want her to br held back academically because of her age. She can work ahead in the subjects she needs to and can take her time in something she does not understand. I tutor reading to kids that are coming from the public schools and I know how sometimes the system doesn't work for everyone. My daughter is exposed to people of all ages and circumstances. Homeschooling allows us to expose her to things but in a way that we are able to explain them to her. I recently heard some stories about how kids were told to "keep their faith to themselves while in the schools." Some people complain even for sending kids to Christian schools because they feel they are being sheltered, I prefer to look at it as being prepared for the mission field. No foreign missionary is allowed to go into the mission field without certain training, I feel that way about my kids. They are exposed to kids who attend regular public schools during sports and other activities, they also attend a homeschool co-op so they learn how to sit in a class and work under other teachers. I am not sure I have every heard a pastor slam homeschoolers. :(

Craig Harris said...

Would you believe some of my very best friends homeschool? This is not a column against homeschooling. I only mentioned homeschooling as part of the isolation some parents attempt. We don't homeschool, though, partly because if you take the good Christian kids out of public schools, what is left?
I'm sympathetic to my friends who choose to homeschool their children, but I really wish they would keep them in public school and stay involved in the school system. We can't be the light of the world if we live in isolation... which takes us back to my original column.

Leener said...

I find it very arrogant and self righteous to think only christian children are good. The public school system is failing because society as a whole is failing. The former American dream is now the fleeting day dream of entitlement and dog eat dog. It's only going to get worse and your "good" christian kids are quickly and surely becoming the minority...you isolate yourselves just as you accuse home schoolers of doing. You are one and the same. Get over yourselves.