Monday, May 7, 2007

Trip to Wallyworld -- or Not



Took the fam to Disney World. It all happened so quickly I still can’t believe we pulled it off. The kids had been bugging us to take them for a couple of years, but I honestly never thought we would be able to go.
But I knew how much the kids wanted to go, and I believe families of faith should have the most fun. I also knew how busy the next few years may become. This seemed the best time to go and make some good memories. We waited until the tickets were purchased before we told the kids because we didn’t want to disappoint them if it all fell apart. It was a wonderful night when we told them we were going. They yelled and hugged us. At first they didn’t believe it, but when we showed them the receipt, they were jubilant. It was all worth it just to see their faces.
I wasn’t quite so thrilled, though. It was only three weeks before our time to go and I was dreading the whole thing. I was afraid one of us would get sick or the weather would go sour on us. But I knew how much it meant to the kids and was determined to push forward. I honestly just wanted to get it over with.
Every day I watched the extended forecast for Orlando. Day after day it showed rain for the days we were going to be there. One week before we left, our daughter missed school with fever and vomiting. I was wondering how it would all play out. Everyone assured me it would be great, but I was having a hard time believing it.
Until we went.
You know what? That may have been the most fun week we ever had. Not a hitch and I think I enjoyed it more than anyone. I took scores of pictures and yelled and hollered on the rides like I was a kid again. Pirates of the Caribbean, Expedition Everest, Space Mountain. We drank it all in and it was beyond a blast. It was another reminder for me that sometimes doing something for someone else can be a wonderful experience for you as well. Gather the family and do something fun this year. Get off the couch and make some memories. Don’t let gravity or fear stop you. You may just have a better time than anyone.

No comments: