Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Give Me That Old Time...

It was so nostalgic last night. We went to the Brushy Creek Arbor to an old fashioned revival. I wanted to go, in part, because I wanted my kids to get to worship where their great-great grandmother did more than a hundred years ago. The arbor was built in 1873 out of hand-hewn sweet gum, with sun-seasoned hardwood pegs. Lighting is provided by bare bulbs and coolness from the air outside. You can see burn marks on the beams from lanterns in days gone by.
My mom has her grandmother's autograph book from camp meetings there in the 1880s. Back then, the families would camp around the arbor all week.


Trampus Black was the evangelist last night and Perry Eaton led the singing. Randy Perkins played the piano. They all did a great job. A little warm, but I didn't care.
After the revival, we walked down to the original spring where they used to baptize the converts.

No comments: