Saturday, January 12, 2008

Lost Dog

It’s an amazing saga of God’s concern for his creatures. I spent a month in Houston last week. (Yes, that’s an old joke.) I spent a week there. The week began with my having a baught with homesickness that I had not experienced since college. I’ve always battled homesickness when I moved or traveled, but I’m very much a grown man now and it surprised me when I got in my hotel room Sunday evening and felt a crushing wave of it. I couldn’t shake it and had to simply wait it out. I didn’t even eat supper Monday. I just couldn’t.
Well, it ended sharply when my brother-in-law drove my wife, Jodi, to the Woodlands Mall (just north of Houston) Tuesday to stay with me the rest of the week. Yes, I’m spoiled, but in my defense, it was Jodi’s idea and her brother-in-law volunteered to bring her. I was never so happy to see my wife and kids running through the mall to see me. We ate with the kids and with Jodi’s sister and family; then they drove back home and Jodi and I went back into Houston.
I finished my schooling (that is why I was in Houston -- more on that later) and drove home Thursday, anxious to see my kids, sleep in my own bed -- and see our beloved dog, Jello.
Everything crashed down when we opened the house and Jello was not there. He wasn’t anywhere. He was gone. It was horrible. Somehow he had slipped through the gate. He doesn’t like being alone and I think he was looking for us.
We got back in the car and drove around the neighborhoods around our house. Nothing. I stood in the cold and listened to dogs barking. Maybe they were barking at him. I barely ate or slept. I felt like crying all the next day back at work. We called the pound, the paper, the police department. No one had seen him. At least the animal control officer could tell me they hadn’t picked up his body. That gave me comfort, but where was he?
Friday afternoon, Jodi, Savannah and some friends began posting fliers around with our number and situation. A man named Jerry Hodge saw them actually posting the signs. He walked up and read the sign, then called me when he got home. He said he saw a woman stop her car and pick up a small dog right in front of our house earlier in the week. (My kids had come over and played with Jello Wednesday and he was last seen at 4:30 that afternoon.) Apparently, Jello slipped out and tried to follow them when they left. He was running up the road when the lady picked him up and Jerry saw her. Jerry thought it looked suspicious and followed her home. He even got her license plate number. He lives down the same country road as the lady who picked him up.
So Friday about 4:50, he called to tell me he had seen the flier and wondered if that could have been our pooch. Now, I was beginning to feel very hopeful. We had a good lead. I knew it was Jello. I called the police and gave them the license number. The officer reminded me that he couldn’t enter a house to get the dog -- and that if they denied having him there was nothing he could do without a warrant. Not only that, but the house was in the county so he had to pass the case to the Sheriff‘s office. This was looking like it might be tricky getting him back.
Jodi called our constable and he was checking into helping us. While I was talking to him, Jerry’s wife, Melissa, called and told me she had seen Jello Thursday running beside their road. My daughter and I jumped in the car and drove straight to that road. I saw Jello cross the road up ahead of us. I pulled up and called him. He had lost a couple of pounds, but he was alive and okay. I guess he had escaped from the woman who picked him up. We found him a mile and a half from our home, 24 hours after we got home from Houston and 48 hours after he crawled through our fence.
We praised God that our family was finally all home together again. Then we bought a gift certificate to a popular local restaurant and took it to the Hodges.
Some lessons from this? First, I think it proves that God really is watching out for us and cares about things that matter to us. He allows us to suffer for a time, but works things out in the end. That suffering makes us stronger and prioritizes us. It keeps us from getting so upset about little things that occur every day.
There’s another lesson, too. Sometimes, we get anxious about what God is doing in our lives and give up waiting for him. So, we take matters into our own hands. Like Jello, we only make matters worse when we do this. We upset God and ourselves. Jello may have spent two nights out in the cold because he didn’t wait one more day in our warm house.
Finally, I see a good message here about our response. We didn’t sit around and wait to see if Jello would come back. We did everything we knew to get him and ultimately went to get him where he was. I think God does this, too. When we “go prodigal” on him, he wants to bring us back. The father in that story saw his son a long way off and went out to meet him. The man who lost his sheep in Luke 15 went searching for it, as did the lady who lost the coin. I think God does that too.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is nothing wrong with being homesick. Some of the greatest songs and poems ever written reflect homesickness.

What is it about DoxHounds that they run off, get snake bit, and win our hearts?

Lorri Allen said...

I'm so glad to hear Jello is safe and warm! And boy, have we been homesick for Texas.

When I was little, I would go spend the summer with my grandmother. Mom and Dad would send Homesick Pills with me to help--just candy, but the placebo did the trick! Maybe you can take some pills with you next time you leave for a business trip.

Do you suppose Jesus ever got homesick for heaven?

Stardust said...

What about road kill? What about animals who are abused? More importantly, CHILDREN who are starving, abused, dying from cancer?

To think that there is a god who is puppetmaster of billions and billions of people, animals, fish...while controlling all natural events on Earth and the cosmos is utterly absurd.

God believers make up stuff to make themselves feel better about things they cannot control.

It's also interesting how those who believe in an all powerful god run to science to help them be healed from injury and cured of diseases.
Left in "god's hands" some might coincidentally recover, but most who trust only their god...die.

Stardust said...

No responses to my above comment about road kill and sick and dying little babies and children? Why would a god give a rat's ass about a dog when there are terrible things happening to human children and people all over this planet? Why would a god take an interest in a spoiled poodle when there are millions of starving stray dogs and cats?

The things you xians make up is mind boggling.

Stardust said...

And I see you still continue to blow off the things you cannot explain. (Please see my above comment and think about it.)

Anonymous said...

Stardust,

You're going beyond Craig's post. He never argued that God rescues us from every earthly situation. He never argued that God spares every little possum before it becomes road pizza.

He merely drew some applications:

1). We should be careful to give God thanks for all things in our lives - small or great. A grateful heart is a wise heart.

2). God does care about the "little things" that nonetheless matter to us.

3). Like Jello, we often lose patience and "jump the fence".

4). Trials, great and small, build character, dependence on God, and maturity.

5). Put feet to your faith. Take action.

6). A family pet can be enormously illustrative of important truths like The Prodigal Son, and the Lost Coin.

While Craig's post does raise questions about death and loss, that's another blog. Have you read much on the Problem of Evil?

Kevin H

Stardust said...

He never argued that God rescues us from every earthly situation. He never argued that God spares every little possum before it becomes road pizza.

Kevin, You Christians keep making stuff up as you go along to support what your god beliefs. The fact is there are things we can and cannot control in this world. Shit happens, and we deal with it. Good stuff happens and we can be glad for it. There is no evidence for a great Skyboss who is puppetmaster to every living thing. So, we can be GLAD, when humans help other humans, or humans help animals, or when humans do good and accomplish great things things, but to give credit to some great imaginary being is taking the credit away from whom it truly belongs.

Anonymous said...

"Kevin, You Christians keep making stuff up as you go along to support what your god beliefs.

KH> Not sure what you mean.

"The fact is there are things we can and cannot control in this world. Shit happens, and we deal with it."

KH> Agreed.

"Good stuff happens and we can be glad for it."

KH> How do you define "good"?


"There is no evidence for a great Skyboss who is puppetmaster to every living thing."

KH> I don't believe in a "Skyboss" or a "puppetmaster".


"So, we can be GLAD, when humans help other humans, or humans help animals, or when humans do good and accomplish great things things,"

KH> The Nazis thought they were doing "good" and accomplishing great things when they were eliminating "undesirables".


"but to give credit to some great imaginary being is taking the credit away from whom it truly belongs".

KH> Honestly, you preach more than any fire-breathing preacher I've ever heard!

Kevin H